Tuesday 10 August 2010

Visual Basic 6.0 Tutorials - Introduction

Welcome to my Visual Basic 6.0 tutorials. I've started doing these to pass on what I have learned about VB6.0 and to give my blog something worthwhile to have.

Why VB6.0?

As I learn different programming languages I'll stick tutorials for those up as well, but Visual Basic 6.0 is where I have started on my path of programming. The Basic language has been about introducing programming to beginners since its inception. Due to the advancements today, it may be better off learning Visual Basic .NET, the post 2003 versions, but VB6.0 is still in use by many programmers today, and many businesses who still have older program may have those programs built in the language.

What is VB6.0?

Visual Basic 6.0 is an event based language. This means that the programs that are built operate by using commands from users, or events. Just think of any operating system. When something is clicked on, something happens. This is the event based principle.

VB6.0 is an older language that can't do some of the sophisticated things that are done today; but it can provide good stable form based programs and applications that work on common things, like performing calculations, file handling, text storage, data output; and most commonly, databases.

Is It Worthwhile Reading These Tutorials?

Of course! There are some other good tutorial sites out there, but some were hard to follow. With this I'm trying to create some programming tutorials that are easy to follow and can help you pick up the language quickly. In short, these tutorials would have been the ones I wanted to follow when I began learning. Of course, you can't actually buy this language now, so those who will be reading will be ones who have managed to get it in some way, which will most likely be students getting into programming for your first time. The most important thing to remember is that once you've learned one language it's easier to learn another as the same computational principles will still apply. Also, don't forget to have fun and be creative!

No comments:

Post a Comment